[OSM-talk] Pedestrian crossings and barriers

frankie roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Wed Aug 1 18:27:24 BST 2007

David Earl wrote:

> These combinations are a bit tedious. If we follow the pattern fro
> restrictions we have elsewhere, we might have
>    crossing=traffic_signals or crossing=uncontrolled
> with
>    pedestrian=no (default is yes if omitted)
>    bicycle=yes (default no)
>    horse=yes (default no)
>    segregated=yes/no (default not known)
>    supervised=yes (default no)

That actually seems pretty sensible.

Although I don't see the problem with people using crossing=pelican if
they want to, it wouldn't mean everywhere else in the world would have
to use the same tags, they could use whatever was the standard there,
be that crossing=crosswalk (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedestrian_crossing#In_North_America) or
whatever.

Maybe future renderers (of the mythical, wouldn't-it-be-cool-if
variety) would want to draw little black and white stripes on close-up
maps containing zebra crossings...

Frankie