[OSM-talk] Pedestrian crossings and barriers

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Wed Aug 1 19:01:54 BST 2007

On 01/08/2007 18:27, frankie roberto wrote:
> Although I don't see the problem with people using crossing=pelican if
> they want to, it wouldn't mean everywhere else in the world would have
> to use the same tags, they could use whatever was the standard there,
> be that crossing=crosswalk (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedestrian_crossing#In_North_America) or
> whatever.
>
> Maybe future renderers (of the mythical, wouldn't-it-be-cool-if
> variety) would want to draw little black and white stripes on close-up
> maps containing zebra crossings...

I think that would be better done as a further qualifier
('crossing_type=zebra') so that tools that consume these things don't
have to have a mapping table to know what to do with them (and their
German, American, ... cousins), but that those who do need to know can
act on them, for example by drawing the stripes.

David