[OSM-talk] Map Features / International

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Aug 1 16:46:46 BST 2007

Dave Stubbs wrote:

> The shop tag went overnight from being, "just write down the
> kind of shop it is", to being "shop tags that have been approved
> are butcher, baker, chandler". Which is so silly, it's silly.

In Sweden there are cafes, bread bakeries, sweet bakeries, and
cafes with their own bakery ("konditori").  Sometimes you don't
know if the cafe has its own bakery or not.  In the 1950s there
were "radio cafes", later adopted to "TV cafes", where you could
go to listen to radio or watch TV if you didn't have one at home,
on condition that you also ordered something to eat.  Today we
have "sport bars" which are pubs with large screen TVs for
football games. Back when Sweden had a stronger alcohol
restriction (same time as the U.S. prohibition), there were no
pubs, but special "restaurants" where you had to order some food
if you wanted to order alcohol.  Nobody went there to eat, because
the food was terrible, just an excuse for drinking.  A beggar
would follow you, so you could order two meals of food with two
drinks.  You would drink twice, and the beggar would help you by
eating your compulsory food.  Or so the story goes.

Conclusion: The "type" of a cafe or restaurant is a matter of self
description or marketing, just like the name.  Let each mapper
write what ever type they want, and we can do statistics on the
types afterwards.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)