[OSM-talk] Foundation Elections - Challenge the Candidates

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 22:41:33 BST 2007

On 8/2/07, Nick Black <nickblack1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> According to:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Foundation/AGM07/Election_of_Officers
>
> there are six people up for election in the upcoming AGM, and only five places.
>
> I haven't heard anything so far about the policies of the people
> standing for election.  I'd like to know why I should vote for you?
> What will you do for the Foundation?  What will you do for OSM?  What
> are your policies towards, for example, licensing the data, the
> structure of the Foundation - what do you think the Foundation should
> do and what shouldn't it do.
>
> What do you think the problems are with OSM/OSMF that electing you
> will help solve?  How would you have dealt with any problems that you
> have seen over the last 12 months differently?

Hey all,

I am Corey Burger and am running for one of the member at large
positions. I am interested in running so that we continue to focus on
what is important for OSM: growing our user base.  I want to make
certain that we build as wide and diverse a user base as we possibly
can, via tools such as the creation of local teams to help
coordination, adoption of a code of conduct to keep things civil and
steering technical direction to make it easy to get and stay involved
in OSM.

My background is primarily within the Ubuntu community. I sit on the
Ubuntu Community Council, the highest governing board of the Ubuntu
community. The community council resolves disputes, approves new
members and teams and discusses proposals to make the community work
better. I have also been the editor of the Ubuntu Weekly News and
currently lead the community marketing team for Ubuntu.

I currently live in Canada, a place with little mapping yet, but I
have seen encouraging signs of growth. In Canada I also lead Ubuntu
Canada, the local team of Ubuntu users and developers.

In my professional life, I am currently headed back to school to take
Geography, with the eventually goal of a Masters of Urban Planning.
Most recently I was Director of Marketing for a small desktop Linux
company known as Userful.

In conclusion, I want to help make OSM a truly international place and
think I have a lot of truly needed skills to sit on the OSMF board. If
you have any questions, email me on or off list.

Corey