[OSM-talk] Foundation Elections - Challenge the Candidates

Fri Aug 3 10:15:30 BST 2007

Nick Black wrote:

> I haven't heard anything so far about the policies of the people
> standing for election.  I'd like to know why I should vote for you?
> What will you do for the Foundation?  What will you do for OSM?  What
> are your policies towards, for example, licensing the data, the
> structure of the Foundation - what do you think the Foundation should
> do and what shouldn't it do.

I'm standing for election to the OpenStreetMap Foundation committee so
that I can help co-ordinate press and other media activity for the
project.

I was involved in arranging the full-page Guardian coverage for the
Isle of Wight Mapping Party, and have scored local paper front pages
for other charitable projects I've been involved in. As a full-time
magazine editor I have an unhealthy knowledge of the workings of the
press, printed and electronic, and would hope to facilitate local OSM
communities to get better coverage for their work.

I don't believe that one person can cope with all the international
publicity for the project and wouldn't seek to. Rather, I'd like to
put in place the facilities, structures and principles that help
others to deliver their own local publicity, ensuring that OSM is
heard about and talked about all over the world.

As for my policies on licensing and the like? Well, though I have many
opinions on things technical, practical and legal to do with OSM, I
strongly hold the belief that the Foundation exists to support, not
control, the project. I would therefore seek only to ensure that
Foundation decisions were founded on good practice and strong
evidence, rather than that they followed my own particular views.

cheers
Richard