[OSM-talk] Mapnik style in slippy map

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Aug 3 13:58:50 BST 2007

On 03/08/2007 13:48, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> And yet, there are things that Mapnik renders that Osmarender does
>> not.
>> This park, for example:
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=47.673&lon=-122.3130&zoom=16
>
> It would be rendered if it were a park. But it is tagged as
> landuse=recreation_ground, and those are indeed missing form tiles at home.
>
> I object to Richard's notion that tiles at home aims for completeness
> while Mapnik aims for beautiful maps. I know that 80n does invest a
> lot of time in making Osmarender/tiles at home produce beautiful maps as
> well, and the tiles at home style sheets *do* leave out many POI details
> for beauty's sake.

+1

I think that rendering all _areas_ known about wouldn't be
overcluttering and would add to the map (both maps), whereas putting
vast numbers of icons may well do. But especially at the highest zooms
even dense mapping still looks quite sparse, I still think everything
with a name (possibly with explicit exceptions) would be usefully
rendered on both maps by default.

David