[OSM-talk] New tool: Generate coastlines from Landsat imagery

Darryl Shpak darryl at shpak.ca
Mon Aug 6 17:32:30 BST 2007

Guilhem Bonnefille wrote:
> On 8/4/07, Darryl Shpak <darryl at shpak.ca> wrote:
>
>> I've just checked in Lakewalker, a tool that can be used to
>> automatically generate coastline data from NASA's Landsat imagery. I've
>> used it to trace a lot of the lakes and islands in my area; an example
>> can be seen at
>> http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=53&lon=-100.5&zoom=12&layers=0B00F000
>>

> Cool! Thanks!
>
> One question: do you think it is hard to port into Java? My idea is to
> have such thing also directly available on JOSM. Other said: does it
> required specific pythom imaging features not available in Java?

Actually, I'm currently working with Brent Easton, who's volunteered to
put together a Java wrapper around the Python code. This would make
Lakewalker work as a JOSM plugin while allowing me to continue
development on it in Python. Brent's currently working on the plugin,
and I'm adding some new options that he's requested. If anything comes
of it, we'll definitely announce it on the list.

- Darryl