[OSM-talk] Potlatch and the destruction of good work (N6 Ireland)

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Aug 8 22:20:10 BST 2007

In message <b5f0f61d0708081256i3b4e8a76xa01ce224daa80d3d at mail.gmail.com>
          "Dermot McNally" <dermotm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Once again I'll pose the question: this isn't a philosophical point.
> The system knows who did this but won't tell ordinary members of the
> community. There are those among us who (seem to) think that the
> status quo is OK. Do those people think that, in addition to
> collecting new mapping info I should also have to stand guard over the
> bits that I've already done?

Of course the system knows who did it, and as admin of course I can find
out who did it (in fact I think I did have a quick look when you mentioned
it before) but what I'm not clear about is what you actually expect me to
do about it?

The situation (as unfortunate as it is) is that I have no authority
to release that information, and indeed under UK data protection laws
it would quite likely be illegal to do so.

I certainly don't think the status quo is OK, but not do I think I can
just start revealing people's identity on demand.

> Anybody with a hard enough neck to tag an unbuilt road twice as built
> needn't be shy about putting his name to his work. The more newbie
> mappers we entice to join the project (and I'm very much in favour of
> this), the more acute this problem will become.
>
> Accountable edits now!

I'm all for that, but it isn't something we can retrospectively
force onto existing mappers without their consent.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/