[OSM-talk] highway=restarea?

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Thu Aug 9 12:50:37 BST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cameron Patrick" <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au>
To: <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2007 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] highway=restarea?

> Jon Bright wrote:
>
>> In Germany, there are attached to motorways service areas, with
>> fuelling, something to eat, etc.
>
> Similar deal in Australian country highways - typically known as
> 'roadhouses' and found every few hundred kilometres in areas where it's
> more than a single tank of fuel between towns; they sell fuel, food,
> have payphones, often provide accomodation, often tow trucks, and are in
> contact with the nearest doctors and mechanics.  Others are found just
> outside towns in areas where highways bypass towns.  I've tagged them as
> highway=town so that they show up on the map at lower zoom level, but
> this isn't really ideal :-) (From what I can tell, mapnik doesn't render
> highway=service at all.)

yes it does  - see the short stub of road just above the name "Carisbrooke
Castle" at:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.68712411505054&lon=-1.3136710909320428&zoom=17&layers=B0F

Note that highway = service is for a narrow road feature, and is used for
tagging ways.  highway = services is used to tag nodes to mark " A service
station to get food and eat something"

David