[OSM-talk] Bus stops

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 14:35:53 BST 2007

On 8/10/07, Alex S. <maps at swavely.com> wrote:
> Lachlan Rogers wrote:
> > It would make sense to do something similar to what is often done
> > with amenity=fuel nodes.  You can place the bus stop node off the
> > main highway way on the correct side.  Then simply connect it to
> > the main way with two segments in a short oneway=yes highway=service
> > way.
> >
> > This would both make it clear which side of the road the bus stop was
> > on, and also make it obvious (to human readers and
> > autorouting-utilities) that the bus stop was connected to the main
> > highway way.
>
> I agree it's similar, but it's certainly not the same thing.  For fuel,
> you *must* drive off the main road to get to it.  However, for buses,
> the stop is usually either directly adjacent to or merely across a short
> section of sidewalk.  The buses themselves stop on the street or in a
> turnout.
>
> Someone mentioned a short while back the idea of an 'offset' tag for
> nodes which are in-line with a way, but the icons are meant to be beside
> the way.  IMHO, this would be a better solution than making a
> non-existent way for the purpose.  Perhaps even with a directional
> indicator.
>
> Examples:
> highway=bus_stop, offset=right  (looking along the direction of the
> segments)
> highway=bus_stop, offset=left, direction=-1
> highway=bus_stop, offset=both  (two stops that are directly across the
> street from one another)

I think it would be better for the stops to be represented by nodes in
their geographical position. There was a discussion about using
virtual=link to tie nodes to the correct way where necessary, back in
June.

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2007-June/014921.html

Since we are talking about nodes and not ways, I think the left/right
may fall down if e.g. two segments both end on the given node.

It's all a bit messy though so I don't know which is the best way to do it.

Cheers,
Andy