[OSM-talk] How do I use the Maplint overlay?

Francisco R. Santos frsantos at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 16:50:19 BST 2007

On 8/11/07, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at web.de> wrote:

> Jon Bright schrieb:
> > Hi Ulf,
> >
> > Ulf Lamping wrote:
> >>
> >> You should enable the validator window with the toggle button on the
> >> left toolbar - it has a validate button to check all the OSM data you
> >> currently have loaded into JOSM, but don't get frightened the first
> >> time you'll see them all ;-)
> >
> > Thanks for the tip - I'd completely missed that the validator had
> > added this button.  I've now fixed a bunch of the problems that it
> > reported. Since you seem to know your way around the validator, I have
> > a question about one of the "crossing ways" reports that you can maybe
> > answer.
> >
> > I have a dual carriageway, which has a junction with a minor road.
> > Traffic on the minor road can join the dual carriageway in either
> > direction.  Traffic on either part of the dual carriageway can join
> > the minor road.  Traffic on the dual carriageway cannot perform a
> U-turn.
> >
> > I'd tried to represent this with the ways in the screenshot at
> >
> > http://discord.ensued.net/crossingways1.png
> >
> > The validator complains that the selected ways cross one another.
> > There are no bridges or tunnels involved here - the whole thing's
> > controlled with traffic lights.  My question is, what to do in this
> > situation:
> >
> > - Should I have organised the junction differently?
> > - Should I just ignore the validator's warning?
> > - Should I put set one of the ways as layer=1, even though they're not
> > really above one another?
> > - Something else I didn't think of?
> >
> > Many thanks for any help you can give.
> >
> I have the same problem, and currently just ignore these warnings - at
> least for now.

This is just one of many situations where a "forbidden turn left/right"
should apply, but we currently lack the proper way to tag that. So, as the
ways physically cross each other, I usually map this "crossing ways"
situation with nodes in all crossing segments, waiting for some kind of
advances relationships [1] to be implemented .

[1]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Advanced_relationships#Restricted.2C_Prohibited_and_Priority_Manoeuvres

Regards,
Quico