[OSM-talk] Notebook scans

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 01:03:38 BST 2007

> Hi,
>
> > I can't decide whether this is a good idea or not.  So far I take the
> approach of being transparent but cussed, i.e. it is good to keep a legal
> record but on a least effort basis and if some company doubts my word that
> I've visited an area, they are welcome to send a representative to my house
> at a time to my convenience wherever I may be in the world.  What do others
> think?!
>
> I, too, have always thought the "accountability" aspect was handled at
> much too high a priority in OSM. It is not me who has to prove that I
> didn't copy something from a map - it is the map owner who has to prove
> that I infringed on his copyright!
>
> I have always viewed the fact that OSM encourages me to upload GPX
> traces for the benefit of accountability as a kind of mistrust - "we
> want to keep our data clean and we don't trust you enough to just accept
> your word that you didn't copy data".
>
> Suggesting that I should upload my notebook pages (or maybe even
> dictaphone records) for the benefit of accountability goes in the same
> direction for me; we don't trust you so please lay open all your
> information.

No, it's not about mistrust, but more about respectability.  An academic
paper that doesn't quote its sources is open to all kinds of criticism and
doubt.  Having independently verifiable collateral is a "good thing".  This
is why over 10,000 pages on Wikipedia are tagged with this template:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Primarysources.

We should encourage and make it as easy as possible for everybody to
preserve their track logs, photographs, voice notes, sketches, etc.

If these original sources exist then it would be a shame for them to be
lost.  There could be all kinds of unimagined uses for them in the future.

80n

Like Mike, I do see the other advantages of uploading notes and traces,