[OSM-talk] Howto retrieve permalink

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 14 00:32:50 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 01:08 +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Tom Hughes schrieb:
> > In message <46C0BC88.4010402 at web.de>
> >           Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at web.de> wrote:
> >

> >> There should be enough space, e.g. below "Map key" to show a permalink.
> >>

> > Not really - it's OK when you're logged in, but when you aren't
> > things are already pushed a long way down in that column.
> >
> > Tom
> >
> Well, I don't care to put it below "Map key", to put it right to "sign
> up", put it right to "GPS traces", or whatever else fits into the screen
> resolution. However, I agree this should be visible on any usual screen
> resolution, as even 800*400 seems to be not an uncommon resolution for
> some current "internet tablets".
>
> My point is that the current "right click onView" is currently *not*
> intuitive for the average user, so it would be a very good idea IMHO to
> have a permalink on the page *somewhere*, where it can be found without
> reading three pages of documentation ;-)
>
> And I guess that the permalink is a very important feature that is
> really helpful for a lot of users, so again IMHO this should be more
> prominent on the osm page ...

A link could also appear in an idea I've had on my list since SOTM:
- Adding an "export" tab to the main page.

On this page there could be:
- The permalink to the map (for people to copy into an email)
- Download of a map for on screen use (selection of resolutions 640x480,
800x600, 1024x768)
- Download of a map for printing as a PDF (portrait/landscape, A5, A4,
A3, ...)

The rendering of the larger bitmaps might take a little time so we might
need a 'wating...' or even ask the user to provide an email address and
we'll mail them the file or a link to it.

Just a simple matter of coding to implement it all....

	Jon