[OSM-talk] Howto retrieve permalink

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Aug 14 00:56:56 BST 2007

Hi,

> A link could also appear in an idea I've had on my list since SOTM:
> - Adding an "export" tab to the main page.

I like that because it would make it immediately clear where we're
different from the "others".

> The rendering of the larger bitmaps might take a little time so we might
> need a 'wating...' or even ask the user to provide an email address and
> we'll mail them the file or a link to it.

On my "bigmap" application (http://openstreetmap.gryph.de/bigmap.cgi)
you can select a map and then download a little Perl script that will
download the tiles and create a big image for you. I did that because I
didn't want all the traffic to go through my site.

Maybe (if we're talking pasting tiles, and not custom rendering) we
could do something like that in Java (as few people have Perl, and I
think Javascript may not write to the hard disk). That way, we'd only
have to deliver the tiles, and the (possibly memory-intensive) pasting
would be done on the user's machine. Plus, if the Java plugin works well
it would probably share the browser's image cache where the images will
already be available.

Bye
Frederik