[OSM-talk] buildings

Lachlan Rogers lachlan at rogers.name
Tue Aug 14 01:27:04 BST 2007

On 8/14/07, Jon Bright <jon at siliconcircus.com> wrote:

>   - Say you're marking a forest at the side of a road - the forest
> doesn't begin exactly at the side of the line running through the middle
> of the road, it begins some metres away.
>   - Sharing segments makes things more difficult if either of the
> sharers changes its position

Both of these are clearly problems for your forest example, but what about
things like University boundaries?  These are often DEFINED by the roads
that border the campus, and so it makes perfect sense for both ways to use
the same segments.  If the road is moved slightly, then the University area
SHOULD be modified correspondingly.

Another small matter for consideration is that the rendering is typically
prettier (in my opinion, anyway) when areas like leisure=park and
amenity=university DO re-use the segments of roads that define their
borders.  This makes it impossible for small "gaps" to appear at various
zoom levels.

- Lachlan