[OSM-talk] buildings

Jon Bright jon at siliconcircus.com
Tue Aug 14 07:09:09 BST 2007

Hi,

Lachlan Rogers wrote:

> Both of these are clearly problems for your forest example, but what
> about things like University boundaries?  These are often DEFINED by the
> roads that border the campus, and so it makes perfect sense for both
> ways to use the same segments.  If the road is moved slightly, then the
> University area SHOULD be modified correspondingly.

Even if they're defined that way, the university doesn't start in the
middle of the road.  The middle of the road (or lane) is what one
segment's defining.  The start of the university is (at least) several
metres away.

> Another small matter for consideration is that the rendering is
> typically prettier (in my opinion, anyway) when areas like leisure=park
> and amenity=university DO re-use the segments of roads that define their
> borders.  This makes it impossible for small "gaps" to appear at various
> zoom levels.

Do you have contrasting examples?  This sounds like something which
could best be fixed by renderers...

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.