[OSM-talk] Country Specific Route Markers

Jeffrey Martin dogshed at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 09:25:45 BST 2007

On 8/15/07, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

> In message <200708151303330770.00D00991 at smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au>
>         Brent Easton <b.easton at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Could someone post a brief summary of the the current state of play
> > with country-specific route marking (i.e. showing the correct
> > highway/state/tourist route shields) in both Mapnik and Osmarender?
>
> We don't have good non-country specific route marking yet (at least
> in mapnik - Osmarender is a bit better) so asking for country specific
> might be leaping ahead a bit.
>
> > We have developed a scheme to use in Australia to mark Australian
> > routes using a ref:au= tag:
> >
> >  ref:au=NR1     National Route - Highway 1 - (black on white shield)
> >  ref:au=NH31    National Highway - (yellow on green shield)
> >  ref:au=MR2     Metroad - (blue on white hexagon)
> >  ref:au=S151    State Route - (white on blue shield)
> >  ref:au=T5      Tourist Route - (white on brown Pentagon)
> >  ref:au=A1      A Roads (yellow on green rectangle)
> >  ref:au=B2      B Roads (yellow on green rectangle)
> >  ref:au=C3      C Roads (yellow on green rectangle)
> >  ref:au=M4      Motorways(yellow on green rectangle)
> >
> > Is this the correct way to go?
>
> I would just use ref= for that. No other country is doing what you are
> to the best of my knowledge.
>
> > I notice Norway seems to be using
> >
> >  ref:RV113
> >  is_in=Norway
> >
> > so using the standard ref= tag, but adding the is_in tag to allow
> > later Norway specific processing.
>
> An interesting idea. I wonder if it isn't better simply to use some
> bounds based idea of determining what country something is in - no
> idea how hard that would be though.
>
> Tom
>
> --
> Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
> http://www.compton.nu/

The names of these things don't seem to be standard, but many
countries use the same symbols. Maybe we could just indicate
the symbol to use and leave it to the end user to determine
what that means in the particular country. For example
instead of Interstate in the US and Expressway in Korea it could
just be red, white and blue shield.

--
http://bowlad.com