[OSM-talk] Country Specific Route Markers

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Aug 15 09:46:21 BST 2007

In message <bf60a2e10708150125y5a95f926r514948a3b260f818 at mail.gmail.com>
        Jeffrey Martin <dogshed at gmail.com> wrote:

> The names of these things don't seem to be standard, but many
> countries use the same symbols. Maybe we could just indicate
> the symbol to use and leave it to the end user to determine
> what that means in the particular country. For example
> instead of Interstate in the US and Expressway in Korea it could
> just be red, white and blue shield.

If I understand what you're saying then no, that's the wrong approach.

You shouldn't putting render specific detail (shield=red type
things) in the database. The database should record the physical
and/or legal state of the road and the renderer should decide how
to display it.

So in Korea highway=motorway might use one shield type to display
road numbers and in Australia it might use another.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/