[OSM-talk] Country Specific Route Markers

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 09:43:48 BST 2007

On 8/15/07, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> In message <200708151303330770.00D00991 at smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au>
>         Brent Easton <b.easton at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Could someone post a brief summary of the the current state of play
> > with country-specific route marking (i.e. showing the correct
> > highway/state/tourist route shields) in both Mapnik and Osmarender?
>
> We don't have good non-country specific route marking yet (at least
> in mapnik - Osmarender is a bit better) so asking for country specific
> might be leaping ahead a bit.
>
> > We have developed a scheme to use in Australia to mark Australian
> > routes using a ref:au= tag:
> >
> >  ref:au=NR1     National Route - Highway 1 - (black on white shield)
> >  ref:au=NH31    National Highway - (yellow on green shield)
> >  ref:au=MR2     Metroad - (blue on white hexagon)
> >  ref:au=S151    State Route - (white on blue shield)
> >  ref:au=T5      Tourist Route - (white on brown Pentagon)
> >  ref:au=A1      A Roads (yellow on green rectangle)
> >  ref:au=B2      B Roads (yellow on green rectangle)
> >  ref:au=C3      C Roads (yellow on green rectangle)
> >  ref:au=M4      Motorways(yellow on green rectangle)
> >
> > Is this the correct way to go?
>
> I would just use ref= for that. No other country is doing what you are
> to the best of my knowledge.
>
> > I notice Norway seems to be using
> >
> >  ref:RV113
> >  is_in=Norway
> >
> > so using the standard ref= tag, but adding the is_in tag to allow
> > later Norway specific processing.
>
> An interesting idea. I wonder if it isn't better simply to use some
> bounds based idea of determining what country something is in - no
> idea how hard that would be though.

I think that is fairly sensible. I don't know of any Australian
motorways that aren't physically in australia, so I would assume
anything with highway=motorway, ref=YY with coordinates in the right
part of the globe could be rendered with aussie-specific shields, if
that's what I as a cartographer wanted to do.

However, from previous emails the actual problem that Brent is trying
to solve is that a given stretch of road have more than one ref from
different classifications in Australia, unlike in the UK.

Cheers,
Andy