[OSM-talk] Highway tagging in general around the world

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Wed Aug 15 12:56:03 BST 2007

On 15/08/2007 at 11:59 AM Richard Fairhurst  wrote:

>Brent Easton wrote:
>
>> Is this realistically going to happen in my lifetime? Do we have the
>>  entire world's country boundaries recorded to the required level of
>>  detail to be able to efficiently calculate which country any
>> particular segment is in? Is it going to be able to cope with
>> complex borders wrapping around sections of other countries?
>
>Well, I don't know your expected lifespan :), but yes, it is
>realistically going to happen.
>
>Effectively it's a very similar situation to the coastlines, which
>aren't perfect yet, but which are coming on nicely. The difference is
>that instead of painting blue/white, you're actually painting in n
>different colours, one for each country.
>
>The rough data is available (again from VMAP0) and, as ever, we can
>refine it as we go along. Efficiency is easy enough if you're prepared
>to put a bit of work into the data structures, and again, I think
>we're learning a lot from coastlines.

Thanks, that's good news.

>Of course OSM always needs more developers. svn access is that way --->

I know the way, I have 2 JOSM plugins currently under development and am working with another Aussie on developing Australian route number rendering.

>For now, is_in is a handy "quick fix" which can be superseded by
>boundaries, and doesn't break anything else.

Ok, I think my original question is answered. We will just use the 'ref=xxx' tag for Australian references and assume the renderer can work out it is in Australia. Which is pretty easy!

Thanks all for the discussion,

Regards,
Brent.
Brent Easton