[OSM-talk] Hiking Trails

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Wed Aug 15 20:25:43 BST 2007

Sven Geggus wrote:
> Shure, thats how I do this right now. Anyway, looks like I did not get the
> correct translation for "landwirtschaftlicher Weg" these are usually
> asphaltic cycle/footways which I usually map as highway=service.

Babelfish gives me "agricultural way" for this.  I assume these are
(old?) farm access roads that have been paved for bicycle use?

I would only tag it as "service" if it's legal for automobiles to use;
otherwise, "highway=cycleway,cycleway=track,foot=yes" seems best to me.

> I think we could enlist many of these people more easily if we have a
> generic Data Model which is less motorist-centric.

Agreed here.  Even aside from engaging additional people, I think a
strong point (and a potential niche too) of OSM is in mapping things
other than motor routes.  Motor routes are covered more than adequately
by several competing (commercial) services.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"