[OSM-talk] Name finder: "Budapesterplatz" vs. "Budapester platz"

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Aug 17 01:37:18 BST 2007

On 17/08/2007 01:00, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> David Earl schrieb:
>> On 17/08/2007 00:16, Ulf Lamping wrote:
>> While I'm at it, what kind of abbreviation is common in these cases?
>> Do people write Hauptbahnstr for Haupbahnstrasse or Hauptbahnstraße?
> Difficult to say what "people" do ;-) AFAIK the correct term is
> Hauptbahnstraße (laut german Duden, which is the "normative reference").
>
> However, I guess for a search engine it's a good idea to be able to find
> all three forms, as none of them is completely uncommon. BTW: another
> possibility would be "Hauptbahnstr.".

That's what I was getting at. It already will find Haupbahnstrasse for
Hauptbahnstraße, but not Hauptbahnstr for either.

>> Would you ever write Budapesterpl. or would it naturally always be
>> Budapester Pl. abbreviated, if indeed abbreviation is used at all?
> I personally would always use Budapesterplatz as a first try - it's the
> easiest to type. However, having a search engine that will ignore those
> differences completely would be my personal hero ;-)
>
> Maybe it's an idea to simply strip off white space and special chars
> (like '-', '.')?

It already does the latter (indeed better than that, it deals with
apostrophes intelligently, especially in English). It's spaces that are
the problem, or rather the way I look for separate words. Anyway, as I
said, I'll see if I can develop a solution.

> P.S.: While we're at it, some more german specialties that might be
> interesting to take into account:
> Weg - a small street, sometimes to be used by foot / bicycle only (will
> be abbreviated with w. or W.)
> Gasse - similiar to Weg, but usually in older towns like Nürnberg (will
> be abbreviated with g. or G.)

OK, that's easy. I already have the means to add alternate forms of
words - e.g. Road and Rd are equivalent, so I can simply add w and weg -
case is irrelevant - and g for gasse (which, correct or not, will also
automatically match gaße), so I'll just add these to the table in next
week's update. Note that w is also already an abbreviation for west.

What I won't pick up without solving the space issue is weg or gasse as
part of a longer word - Nürnberg Weg = Nürnberg W. for example would be
ok, but not Nürnbergweg = Nürnbergw

David