[OSM-talk] Privacy - Time - Houses

John Wolter jwolter0 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 04:29:46 BST 2007

On 8/16/07, Darryl Shpak <darryl at shpak.ca> wrote:

> Thomas Krauss wrote:
> > I want to delete or fake the timestaps of the gpx file AND
> > I want to delete some of the first and some of the last meters
> > (no one has to know, where I and for example my girlfriend lives - but I
> want to track the
> > big streets I drive on the way to her)
>
> - I don't care about the timestamps. I don't see a real privacy issue
> here. The OSM API doesn't make the timestamps public anyway. You can't
> delete the timestamps, because then they won't be accepted when you
> upload them. But if you want, I'm pretty sure that GPSBabel can apply a
> shift to the timestamps, so you can make the tracks that you collect on
> 8 AM Monday morning look like you actually collected them at 11 PM on
> Wednesday night, or whatever.

I'm not sure what you mean by "The OSM API doesn't make the timestamps
public anyway." I just downloaded a random trace (not one of my own) from
the GPS traces tab, and the timestamps were in there.

I can see why Thomas might want to obfuscate his timestamps.  Say his
timestamps show that he was driving over the legal speed limit (driving to
his girlfriend's) or under the minimum speed (driving from his
girlfriend's). :-)  Unfortunately, time shifting won't change that.