[OSM-talk] Length od ways and dual named ways

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sat Aug 18 17:50:34 BST 2007

On 18/08/2007 17:34, Joe Hildreth wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>     Have a couple more questions. Thought I would get your input.
>
> 1) What is the longest a way should be made. For example, If I am on the
> interstate and drive a hundred miles, should I break that down into 5,
> 20 mile ways?

Absolutely. Very long ways may miss a rendering square completely. I'd
go less - 3 - 5 km max, then unintelligent rendering can label them on
each intervals.

In due course you'll have to break them up anyway, because each bridge
will want its own way, and I'm sure there'll be more than one bridge in
every 20 miles.

Before long we'll be able to relate all the Ways forming a contiguous
road together using a new construct, and that will also solve your
second problem.

David