[OSM-talk] On tertiary highways

Jeffrey Martin dogshed at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 00:13:46 BST 2007

On 8/19/07, Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 18 August 2007 19:46:51 Dermot McNally wrote:
> > I do most of my mapping in Ireland, where there's no official road
> > classification that maps readily to tertiary. However, I find it very
> > useful to indicate a road which, while unclassified, has a greater
> > significance for through traffic that isn't shared by other
> > unclassified roads.
>
> Same here in the UK. In urban areas I mark through-roads that are wider
> than
> residential roads as tertiary. In rural areas I mark roads that have two
> lanes, or that are wide enough for easy passing, to differentiate them
> from
> the tiny country lanes you wouldn't want to go down unless your
> destination
> was on them.
>
> Kind regards,
> tom
>
> --
> | Green Party Speaker on Intellectual Property and Free Software |
> | http://tom.acrewoods.net    ::    http://www.greenparty.org.uk |

I'm using tertiary for similar roads in South Korea.
Please update http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Highway_tag_usage with
any changes.
I moved information from other pages to this page
to unclutter the highway tag page. My idea is that this page will give a
general idea that can be applied to all
countries and then each country can get more specific on their project
pages.
At the bottom of the page is a chart with some examples of what some
countries are doing.
I will expect more variety with the lower level tags.

--
http://bowlad.com