[OSM-talk] On tertiary highways

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Sun Aug 19 03:34:13 BST 2007

>>     two
>>     lanes, or that are wide enough for easy passing, to differentiate
>>     them from
>>     the tiny country lanes you wouldn't want to go down unless your
>>
>> I'm using tertiary for similar roads in South Korea.
>> Please update http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Highway_tag_usage
>> with any changes.
>
>I'm surprised to see unclassified described as one-lane roads.  I
>understand these to be essentially the same as residential streets, only
>without residences.  One-lane roads would all be tracks, if you ask me.

It's country specific. In Australia one-lane roads are the norm in rural areas and are tagged tertiary if they go somewhere and 'unlassified' if the don't. We use tracks for gravel fire trails, forest trails, National park trails, 4WD trails etc. Basically something you think twice about taking a 2wd on after rain.

Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer
University of Western Sydney
Email: b.easton at uws.edu.au