[OSM-talk] On tertiary highways

Alex L. Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Sun Aug 19 04:49:41 BST 2007

Brent Easton wrote:
>>>     two
>>>     lanes, or that are wide enough for easy passing, to differentiate
>>>     them from
>>>     the tiny country lanes you wouldn't want to go down unless your
>>>
>>> I'm using tertiary for similar roads in South Korea.
>>> Please update http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Highway_tag_usage
>>> with any changes.
>> I'm surprised to see unclassified described as one-lane roads.  I
>> understand these to be essentially the same as residential streets, only
>> without residences.  One-lane roads would all be tracks, if you ask me.
>
> It's country specific. In Australia one-lane roads are the norm in rural areas and are tagged tertiary if they go somewhere and 'unlassified' if the don't. We use tracks for gravel fire trails, forest trails, National park trails, 4WD trails etc. Basically something you think twice about taking a 2wd on after rain.

I was thinking of proposing a 'highway=4wd' for that last use, thus
distinguishing the roads that it's unsafe to take a 2wd vehicle on.  I
imagine a lot of the roads you list are OK for 2wd at least most of the
time, while others never are.

--
Bad - You get pulled over for doing 90 in a school zone and you're drunk
off your ass again at three in the afternoon.