[OSM-talk] On tertiary highways

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 12:00:03 BST 2007

On 8/19/07, Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:
> On the wiki 'track' is defined as:
>
> "unpaved/unsealed roads for agricultural use; gravel roads in the forest etc."

Well, in the Australian outback you often have graded roads:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graded_road
These allow speeds of 80km/h so tertiary really isn't a bad choice.

We're having this like discussion with the AND data for NL. They
distriguish between the road type (what OSM has) and the "functional
road class", where it is in the scheme of routing. Basically a road
may be unsealed but can simultaneously be the main road for hundreds
of kilometres. The current OSM model can't handle this very well.

Have a nice day,