[OSM-talk] dangerous cycling lanes (was Re: A new highwaytagging scheme - thinking about)

Stephen Gower socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li
Thu Aug 30 10:49:26 BST 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:29:24AM +0100, Tom Chance wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:07:12 +0800, Cameron Patrick
> <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:
> >  I'd go for "cycling=poor|medium|good"
>
> But that's so subjective! Several of my colleagues refuse to cycle down
> Streatham High St to work because it's a busy trunk road with trucks and
> buses, but I prefer it because it's quick and saves me going up and down
> too many hills.

  I'd prefer easy|intermediate|advanced|dangerous or something
  similar that doesn't mention "good". It's still going to be
  subjective to a certain extent, but I think there would be
  consensus on most roads once there was a feel for it.

> As I wrote in my other email, and as is indicated on this rather nice page
> pointed out to me, it's much better to focus on characteristics that
> physical, administrative and safety related:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Cycleway
>
> You can then determine what is "poor" or "good" based on your preferences.

  Two problems with this that I see:

  1) We're trying to make maps! Distilling four keys (each with
  multiple possible values) into simple rendering rules, is going to
  be a nightmare.  And personally, I don't think the four
  "characteristic keys" listed on that page are enough to classify a
  road's suitablity for cycling - making the job even more
  complicated. Do we even have keys for saying "this road is often
  used by HGVs", "this road has nasty traffic calming meaning cars
  often vear suddenly to one side", etc?  A combination of
  cycling-grade (easy, advanced, etc) along with a "description" (or
  perhaps a specific cycling description) tag describing the factors
  would be easy to render and therefore might actually happen!

  2) I could probably assess from memory most of the likely cycling
  roads in Oxford with a cycling grade.  It would take a few hours
  sat in front of a computer to enter this, but nothing like the
  weeks of work it would take to resurvey every street to the level
  of detail needed by characteristics tags.

  Just my 2p!