[OSM-talk] Building Site - landuse=construction

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Dec 14 11:35:23 GMT 2007

On 14/12/2007 10:51, Kyle Gordon wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 11:13 +0000, John McKerrell wrote:
>> The Building Site tag has passed through voting now with 8 approvals
>> and no disapprovals. Blackadder did express concern that
>> "construction" could be an ambiguous term, but I think when coupled
>> with "landuse", it's ok. If you meant it as a noun, i.e. "a
>> construction", then you wouldn't use landuse (and in fact you'd
>> probably use building=yes). We can always put put words to that
>> effect on the map features description.
>>
>> So, if I don't get any major flames in response to this email I'll
>> add this new tag to the map feaures page and look at getting it
>> rendered.
>>
>> John
>
> What an awful idea. As rjmunro states, we should be mapping the two
> states of existence, not the transitory state in between. As far as I
> was aware, that is what the start_date and end_date tags are for. Will
> we be mapping allotments with 'landuse=construction' every time someone
> builds a new shed or changes their existing one?

There's large chunks of Cambridge (Arbury Park for those who know it,
and also the City Centre almost completed now, plus large chunks of
Cambourne nearby and starting soon the new town of Northstowe) which
have been or will be in construction for many years (3 or 4 years in
some cases).

So while temporary, it is not insignificant either, so I'd support
landuse=construction.

David