[OSM-talk] Render icons for parking areas

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 22:09:33 GMT 2007

On 19/12/2007, Brent Easton <b.easton at exemail.com.au> wrote:
> On 18/12/2007 at 12:49 PM Knut Arne Bjørndal wrote:
> >Yesterday I added a feature to osmarender to render icons for areas,
> >and have added icons for sport="soccer|tennis|swimming".
> >
> >There was some debate on IRC if areas with amenity=parking should get
> >a parking icon, like mapnik does it. The drawback of this is that many
> >parking lots are tagged with both an area and a node, often in the
> >center, which leads to two icons per lot.
> >
> >I imagine this could actually be helped by doing icon rendering on the
> >areas, as there would no longer be any need for this double-tagging.
> >
> >I will be happy to implement this (quite simple) addition to the
> >stylesheets if people want this to be rendered.
>

> No, Please don't.
>
> Rendering names/icons for areas just does not work properly for unusual
> shaped areas. If the Centre of gravity of the area is not within the area,
> then the name/icon ends up in the wrong place. The current system where you
> tag the area to get the yellow shading and tag a node to get the icon
> exactly where you want works perfectly. Many Parking areas are unusually
> shaped. Please don't fix something that is currently working perfectly.

why does the icon blindly get placed at the centre of gravity? i am
confident the maths to figure out where to place the label, whilst
ensuring it is inside the bounds of the area (and complying with any
other set of arbitrary rules), would be fairly trivial to implement.
this double-tagging of items seems very clunky to me, something i had
often wondered about; i did not realise this was the reason.

if no-one else is willing/a solution does not exist already, i will
look into this