[OSM-talk] Osmarender4 slippy map (preview)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Feb 11 02:10:40 GMT 2007

Hi,

    thank you for your input regarding the Osmarender4 slippy map. Since
no major concerns have been voiced, the Osmarender4 version is now in
SVN, and renderers can begin using it immediately.

Releases up to 2092 were Osmarender3, Releases 2093 onwards are Osmarender4.

See also: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tiles%40home/Messages

@David, I like your additions but I'd rather not force them upon
everyone "through the back door" at this time - I think the planned
Cartography Meetup should pose an excellent opportunity for people to
decide what they want on the maps and how (or at least to decide upon a
process that leads to decisions... ;-). The tiles affected can, once
people decide what they want and how, easily be found out from the
planet file and then re-rendered at any time.

@80n, share your concerns about the post office/letter box thing. But
frankly, the symbol used for both is rather ugly anyway, and I like how
it cries out "please could somebody with a decent sense of beauty fix
all the symbols" ;-)

@Steve, I spoke to Jochen about the abutters thing and he said he
*thought* not to have touched them but I confirm what you are seeing.
But the abutters are (Jochen's words) a dark and murky area of
Osmarender, so let's just postpone this.

Note that tiles at home does not require a customized osmarender.xsl
version any more; the one I have just checked in to SVN is the very same
we also have in the osmarender4 directory. (Could be replaced by a
symlink but I thought I'd just leave it separate for now.)

Bye
Frederik