[OSM-talk] Road Widths, Stubs and Priority/Giveway

Ben Robbins ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 14 02:51:06 GMT 2007

>but I suppose we'd need a good guide

I'll stick it on the proposed features later, and try and define them
acuratly

>>2) Stubs
>>
>>3) Road Status's

2) Stubs...  I'm just using the term used by wikipedia for an
incomplete/short artical, but we should use it for where a road/path etc is
known of but not mapped.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ben_robbins_/stubs.png

Here is a cross roads.  I know its a cross roads, but I have only done 2 of
the roads.  Currectly I have just added 2 arrows as a note to myself and
others that there are roads waiting to be driving or riden along.

I could attach some notes to the nodes somewhere, but if I told you there
was a tagged node there you couldn't tell me wich one it was, wich is not
very helpful.  Therefore i was suggesting josm or other editing softwear
could have the option to display some symbol at the end of a road, instead
of an arrow shaped way/segment.  Heres some examples:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ben_robbins_/symbols.png

3) Road Status's

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ben_robbins_/junctionexample.png

In that image example C, the road between points 1 and 2 is the main road.
because of the way the ways are split (as shown in B), a route finder would
tell you to 'go straight on', then 'go striaght on' when in fact you don't
need to do anything, but just keep driving.

This is a very simple example, but today I was editing in wales and I found
a few wierd junctions wich it would make a routefinder give you too much
unessesery information.

Currently if you look at image A it is inposible to tell wich road joins
wich road, and wich gives way to wich.

I'm not just saying this for a route finder.  However the data is used,
there is currently no way of knowing wich road gives way to wich unless the
roads have different highway status's.

For rendering on a map, a road that gives way to another could fade very
slightly at the connection point.

One solution I thourght of would just be to tag roads with a status='letter'
as in example here:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ben_robbins_/junctionexample1.png

The 3 ways down the main road would all have the Tag status=A therefore the
routefinder or whatever program could see that you are remaining on the same
road.   It was pointed out in the IRC that if a node only has 2 connecting
segments it could work out that it doesnt have to tell you anything because
you must be staying on the same road.

Then Roads B and C have less high status letters so the route finder can
work out you will be giving way so add some time to the journey.

The flaw with this idea is in example 2 on that same page.  If a road ends
up givng way to a raod thats lower status than itself, or if its status
changes.  This is where I am still seeking some solution.

It could be shown on a map by a fading of the road that gives way, for
example.

Ben