[OSM-talk] OSM and Trackmaster

Francis Augusto Medeiros francis at mgate.com.br
Tue Jan 16 14:50:40 GMT 2007

Hello everyone!

First of all, thank you all very much for all the messages!

I wrote the wrong name of the program - it's Trackmaker (www.gpstm.com), not
Trackmaster...

Let me give you guys some background info and what I am willing to do.

I'm from Vitória da Conquista, Bahia, Brazil, and I work for the
municipality here. We do have the map of the whole city in both autoCAD
format and also in Mapinfo format. The map is ready, and it's copyright free
- they already gave me a CD of it.

So what was I thinking? I wanted to have this map converted into GPX or
something (and modify it a bit, because some streets do not have 2 tracks
when they are divided in two, for example) and upload it to OSM. But I also
would like to contribute for the Tracksource project, which is a project
aimed at creating brazilian maps compatible for Garmin (mapsource format).

Tracksource do not release their source, but they do have some garmin maps
available.

If there's a way to convert Mapinfo map into tracks usable by OSM, or if I
am allowed to trace the tracks over its image, great. If not, I'll have to
collect all data myself, and I'd like to do so in both environments,
Trackmaker and JOSM. But is there a way I can avoid the double work?

Cheers,

Francis

P.S. - I'm really newbie into this, but I'm really excited about
contributing. I will use a Mac to make most of my work, though it seems I'll
use some windows for Trackmaker stuff.

On 1/16/07, Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) <openstreetmap at ostertag.name>
wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 January 2007 12:08, Francis Augusto Medeiros wrote:
> > Hello everyone!
>
> Hello first of all.

> > You see, some folks in Brazil have a project called Tracksource,
> > aimed at developing maps for Garmin devices. I don't like its
> > approach (as I think it's strange to waste time to create things for
> > a proprietary device).
> >
> > However, one developer asked me if I'd like to use his tracks, which
> > are on Trackmaster. My question is: Can I trace tracks on Trackmaster
> > and have them exported as GPX, so I could still use them in JOSM?
>
> First of all you should normally only use gps-tracks from a gps-receiver
> as
> source and these normally have a possibility to export to gpx. This was
> the
> reason we choose gpx as import format for tracks.
> You can try gpsbabel. If you don't find a conversion routine in gpsbabel,
> you
> can send me a short track as an example and I'll have a look if we can
> write
> a conversion module in osmfilter to convert these tracks.
>
> -
>
> Joerg

Francis Augusto Medeiros
ICQ:7825595
Skype: francisaugusto
AIM/iChat: francisaugusto
Vitória da Conquista - Bahia - Brasil
"Lâmpada para os meus pés é a Tua palavra, e luz para o meu caminho"
         --- Salmo 119:105