[OSM-talk] advertising

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 17:26:21 BST 2007

On 7/1/07, Ray Booysen <raybooysen at rjb.za.net> wrote:

> On 7/1/07, Steve Coast <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 30 Jun 2007, at 14:25, David Earl wrote:
> >
> > At the moment it looks like a fault. But if these things proliferate all
> > over the Europe home page, then what a first time viewer will see is a
> > map full of adverts, not a map of collaborative effort. I think this is
> > a shame and devalues the project.
> >

> > Look, these things aren't going to proliferate all over Europe or fill up
> the map. That's just gratuitous FUD.
>
> How would we know?

Beacuse this is an open project, and the adverts were that terrible
and taking up the entire screen, you could set up your own, ad-free
slippy map.

If one year ago I had said that we would have ads on the
> map I would have been dismissed saying thats just FUD.
>

> > I hear you all about wanting the map to be Free and pure. Really, I do. On
> the other hand I note that only two of you are foundation members.
>
> Umm, what?   I don't understand how this plays a part in the conversation?

Only Foundation members can vote in elections for officers.  No
Foundation membership, no vote.  The Foundation officers that were
available, were consulted about the adverts before they were
integrated.  If people don't want to join the Foundation and
participate in its democratic processes, they can't really complain
when the Foundation makes a descision they disagree with.

> > And that we didn't see all this time and effort when we were looking for
> people to help organise the conference. So, instead of talking about
> deleting all your data or how bad it is, why don't you volunteer to organise
> fundraising? It's really easy to send angry negative emails to the list and
> it's much harder to volunteer and make things happen.
>
> It seems its easier to work on and commit geolocated adverts than emailing
> the list and checking on ideas or comments regarding adverts on the map.
> I've been contributing to the project for just shy of a year and this is the
> first time I've seen what looks like a "dictatorial" use of power in OSM.

Strong words.  Please remember that the Foudnation officers were
elected by the Foundation membership with their own mandate.  They
don't *have to* and aren't *supposed* to report every decision they
make to talk.

> We all would like to help out but on occasion it is not possible.  Simply
> placing adverts which you would have to admit is a contentious issue without
> as much as an email before doing so (the email 30 minutes before deployment
> to the foundation members doesn't count) shows very little consideration to
> the other members' feelings on the issue.
>
> We seem to vote or converse on all other issues regarding OSM, so why is
> this any different?  I work on developing maps, spend time creating GPX
> files, nodes, ways and segments and this somehow means I can't complain
> because I don't also work in other areas?
>
> Its hard to be cynical of OSM when this is the way the system is treated.
>
> Regards
> Ray
>

> > We'd all love your help organising fundraising, especially given all the
> time we've spent organising the conference. Who's going to step up?
> >

> > have fun,
> >

> > SteveC | steve at asklater.com | http://www.asklater.com/steve/

> --
> Ray Booysen