[OSM-talk] advertising

Steve Coast steve at asklater.com
Sun Jul 1 22:59:47 BST 2007

On 1 Jul 2007, at 16:59, Ray Booysen wrote:
> We seem to vote or converse on all other issues regarding OSM, so
> why is this any different?

Can you point to one of those that involves a substantial amount of
work? For example, there is a lot of debate over what goes in map
features and then something simple is decided like 'horse=yes is
approved'. On the other hand, debate about things like data models
and postgres drags on for years and nothing happens.

You need not be cynical about OSM because there are tiny pixel gifs
on the page as a trial. Before the rails port there were banner ads
which were much worse and there are direct partner links on the front
page right now. The trial is of course highlighting some good reasons
to remove them and some new ways forward. I'd be more cynical about
the hysterical responses about deleting data and the evilness, and I
don't think we should take them down because of that. If they degrade
the project, don't make any money or someone comes up with vastly
better ways forward then of course they'll get dropped.

have fun,