[OSM-talk] advertising

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 15:20:09 BST 2007

On 7/2/07, Christoph Eckert <ce at christeck.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > This is silly. For long term sustainability the domain (and anything
> > else needed by the project) has to be "owned" by a legal entity that
> > is not a person. Consider the "owner gets hit by a bus" scenario.
>
> agreed.
>
> [...]
>
> > I honestly don't see why OSMF needs a website at all, but if it does
> > it would probably be good to have a seperate one (run by the same
> > servers, ofcourse :) ). btw, Openstreetmap.nl was registered directly
> > by Vrijschrift.
>
> The basic idea is that openstreetmap.org is the main page of an
> international project, not a national OSMF. What gets placed there or
> even not should therefore be decided by the community, not a national
> foundation.
>
> I'd not complain about the ads if OSMF would have a national domain like
> openstretmap.co.uk. If we had further national foundations who run
> something like openstreetmap.fr, I'd not complain if they placed ads in
> their maps.
>
> Steve founded and grew this cool project under the name and domain
> openstreetmap.org. It's OK if it now gets assigned to the national OSMF
> as it is not possible to found an international foundation. But then
> the OSMF should IMO resist the temptation to use it as their own
> homepage and to place ads on the map without any community
> consideration.

OSMF is not, per se, a national organisation.  It is intended to have global
scope.  Unfortunately it has to be registered *somewhere* under some legal
jurisdiction otherwise it would not be accountable and that would defeat its
purpose.

We did look at incorporating in a variety of different countries.  I seem to
recall that the Isle of Man was a strong contender at the time.  In the end
it came down a) the UK has suitable types of company for our needs
(non-profit membership owned), b) two thirds of the elected officals live in
the UK and understand how to do all the necessary paperwork for a UK company
and c) cost (the Isle of Man turned out to be way too expensive).

Personally I would like to see a federation of local chapters who can
fundraise locally and help organise and coodinate mapping parties, deal with
press coverage and attend local conferences etc.

I've discussed this with Steve in the past and it came up as a possibility
during the Digital Pioneers proposal work with Vrijshrift becoming a
federated member of OSMF.

Given the amount of OSM activity in Germany I think it would be excellent to
have a local representative organisation of some kind.  Christoph, ar you
volunteering to get the ball rolling?

Just my two cents,