[OSM-talk] advertising

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 09:32:49 BST 2007

On 7/2/07, paul youlten <paul.youlten at gmail.com> wrote:
> Long live Mappam! May a hundred thousand mini-markers bloom!

I understand the need to generate income and I understand that the map
ads are not part of the database nor are they part of the map image;
they're a separate layer on top of the map.

But the first-time visitor to the site is not. My impressions, had I
come to OSM yesterday, would be "Here is a site for a freely-editable
world map and it has been taken over by spam and advertising. Why
would I bother using this data or contributing to the project?". In
other words the main "product" of OSM, the *map*, appears compromised
at first glance.

An analogy to television may help explain my viewpoint.. I don't mind
having commercials in between segments of a program. But when
advertisements pop up within the program itself (ie "product
placement") it makes the program seem cheap and tacky and devalues the
otherwise legitimate content.

Can someone explain to me why map-based ads are preferable to having
adverts on the side of the map rather than on the map itself?

--
Matthew T. Perry
http://www.perrygeo.net

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes
the existing model obsolete" - R. Buckminster Fuller