[OSM-talk] Code of Conduct was: AND donate entire street network of Netherlands to OSM

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 02:20:51 BST 2007

On 7/4/07, Steve Coast <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> On 5 Jul 2007, at 01:22, Corey Burger wrote:
> > That response was completely unacceptable. It is responses like this
> > that keep people away from contributing.
>
> While I agree that I was rude, and I apologise for snapping at
> Martijn specifically, I don't know what else you want. Would you like
> me to be polite? I'll re-phrase.

Yes, and the point of about being polite is not exclusively aimed at you.

> I think it's unfailingly negative backward-looking people who
> critique everything who hold stuff back. I basically don't think you,
> or they, have a clue about the effort required to do these things and
> I'm tired of your sit-on-the-fence critique.

I don't disagree that critiquing can be annoying and can be stop
energy. However, the main point I am making is that when you replied,
you were rude directly to him, not to the project in general.

> Put my reaction aside for a second, and just think about this:
>
> Imagine someone reading the list who's thinking about putting some
> number of man-months in to convincing their boss or company to
> release data to OSM. What would they think about the ton of shit you
> get?
>
> All they get at work is pain, and all they're going to get from this
> list is why they're wrong, why they shouldn't do it, why they should
> have done it months ago, why they should wait, why the data model is
> wrong, why we need to wait for the 'fine-print', why we can't work
> with them... They'll get a few people saying it's cool, which is
> great but that's not the majority at all. What would be the point in
> even contemplating engaging with OSM? They should just go home and
> forget it.

Think about this:

Somebody comes along and see the founder of the project publicly
attacking a contributor, calling them names and swearing at them. How
does that look?

Corey