[OSM-talk] map features - waterway: Some clarification?!?

paul youlten paul.youlten at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 00:05:36 BST 2007

I am not an expert on waterfeatures but:

- what's the "usual" distinction between a river and a stream? This must
not be an absolute measurement, but please give a "feeling" for someone
not familiar with these terms
You can jump across a stream, but have to swim across a river.

- is the lock_gate a thing to raise/lower the water level for vessels,
often found in canals?
Yes it is a lock - which often has two lock gates - on larger rivers
sometimes these are quite far apart.
http://www.omegawiki.org/index.php?title=DefinedMeaning:lock%20(6547)&dataset=uw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_lock
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schleuse

- is the water_point e.g. a place to get fresh water e.g. for caravans?
Yes - probably just a tap with drinking water

- is the waste_disposal e.g. a place to release used water e.g. for
caravans?
All waste - old food, packaging, trash, old newspapers  - rubbish -
http://www.omegawiki.org/index.php?title=DefinedMeaning:rubbish%20(387223)&dataset=uw

- is the turning_point a place to turn the direction for commercial
vessels? where is this used usually?
Not sure exactly  -  typically canals are narrower than the boats using them
-  so a turning point is a place where the canal is wide enough to do a
"three-point-turn"

Hope that helps

Paul Y

On 7/6/07, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at web.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> First of all, I've already changed the sequence of the tags in the map
> features waterways section
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features#Waterway, as being
> lock_gate the first and river below the middle simply made no sense IMHO.
>
> As english not being my native language, I have some hard time
> understanding some of the items in the map features of waterway (I've
> tried to translate the wording, but didn't found a bullet proof
> translation), so if someone could shed some light upon
>
> - what's the "usual" distinction between a river and a stream? This must
> not be an absolute measurement, but please give a "feeling" for someone
> not familiar with these terms
> - is the lock_gate a thing to raise/lower the water level for vessels,
> often found in canals?
> - is the water_point e.g. a place to get fresh water e.g. for caravans?
> - is the waste_disposal e.g. a place to release used water e.g. for
> caravans?
> - is the turning_point a place to turn the direction for commercial
> vessels? where is this used usually?
>
> Could someone please shed some light on this, or even better just add
> the information to the wiki page?
>
> Regards, ULFL

Tel: +44(0) 7814 517 807