[OSM-talk] Mapping Change for Sustainable MSc / bursaries

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Jul 9 11:05:18 BST 2007

Hullo,

A colleague passed this onto me, might be of interest to some OSM folks.
It's also an area that I think the OSM platform and community will be great
for a little further down the line...

----
The Mapping Change for Sustainable Communities project will work with 4
local communities to develop online local maps to reflect their issues and
priorities. The project will develop an on-line interactive GIS-based map
of East London and the Thames Gateway, highlighting development sites,
environmental issues and projects, local issues and stakeholder groups.
Local people will identify the issues and will be trained in using relevant
ICT. The project will offer them access to planning information and advice
and lead to a web-based map which they can maintain and develop, and will
include working directly with communities in selected areas.

The main part of the project will be based on participatory mapping
activities using a public mapping system similar to the London Green Map
(http://greenmap.london21.org), use of bio-mapping (http://biomapping.net)
and mapping with Geographical Information System (GIS). The project forms
one part of a range of HECFE-sponsored Urbanbuzz community projects
(details of which can be found at:
http://ns5.meganexus.com/scommunities/homePage.do)

As part of this project, we offer two MSc bursaries that cover UCL tuition
fees and addition £2000 (total value of £5500). The selected candidates
will enrol on one of two MSc courses offered by University College London -
the MSc in GIS (Department of Civil, Environmental and Geomatic
Engineering, http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ge/courses/msc/gis/index) or
the MSc in Environment, Science and Society (Department of Geography,
http://www.geog.ucl.ac.uk/prospstudents/pg/msc/ess/). Applicants must have
the required qualifications for the program and should note which course
they would prefer to take. They will contribute to the project about 1/2
day a week during the taught element of the programme, and work on it as
part of their final dissertation project.

Further details on these bursaries and how to apply are available at
homepages.ge.ucl.ac.uk/~mhaklay/mcsc.pdf
----

Kind regards,
Tom