[OSM-talk] NCN refs - consistency

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Jul 11 11:11:34 BST 2007

Umm, lots to think about here.

In Ipswich I have used ncn_ref for national cycle routes, and used a ';'
between entries if there is a shared route, for example: ncn_ref=N1;N51

Sustrans also has regional routes (ncr) but we don't have any in Suffolk to
my knowledge. We do have regional routes, for example 'Suffolk Costal
Route'. I haven't encoded these but proposed using rcn_ref.

I also wanted to encode local cycle routes, and in the absence of any other
suggestions I have tagged these as lcn_ref (lcn_ref=4A, lnc_ref=12 etc).

We have routes where two national cycle routes share a segment with a local
cycle route, and also no-doubt a regional cycle route if I looked carefully.

When making a map it might be useful to be able to distinguish between a
local route and a national route, hence my use of 3 different tags.

To be clear I am very happy to discuss this, come to a conclusion and then
change my tagging, but would like to do it once rather than repeatedly :)

Btw, I was at a meeting at the UK's Departent for Transport discussing an
on-line cycle journey planner. The DfT is very committed to bottom-up
community data gathering by cyclists for cyclists on this one but identified
that that different projects in the country are currently using different
data standards. Ideally they would like their planner built on OS data, but
want to keep the field open at this stage and propose a mosaic approach
based on the same data model but possibly with different data sources and
collection methods.

The DfT is keen to progress this idea and is likely to set up a working
party to define a data schema for the additional information needed for this
purpose. I know many people will be less than ecstatic at the prospect but I
will be involved in this process and will attempt to ensure that OSM has a
voice. Incidentially the working party will be taking input from the Dutch
who are also building a national cycle journey planner which is interesting
given the AND developments.

Regards,

Peter