[OSM-talk] NCN refs - consistency

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Wed Jul 11 14:03:20 BST 2007

Hullo,

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:11:34 +0100, "Peter Miller"
<peter.miller at itoworld.com> wrote:
> Btw, I was at a meeting at the UK's Departent for Transport discussing an
> on-line cycle journey planner. The DfT is very committed to bottom-up
> community data gathering by cyclists for cyclists on this one but
> identified that that different projects in the country are currently
using different
> data standards. Ideally they would like their planner built on OS data,
> but want to keep the field open at this stage and propose a mosaic
approach
> based on the same data model but possibly with different data sources and
> collection methods.
>
> The DfT is keen to progress this idea and is likely to set up a working
> party to define a data schema for the additional information needed for
> this purpose. I know many people will be less than ecstatic at the
prospect but
> I will be involved in this process and will attempt to ensure that OSM
has a
> voice. Incidentially the working party will be taking input from the
Dutch
> who are also building a national cycle journey planner which is
> interesting given the AND developments.

I think it's great. I really like Transport for London's cycle route
planner and their cycling maps. Even if they don't end up using, supporting
or pointing to an OSM effort, it would be good to get more input into the
proposals for making OSM cycle friendly. Rendering a cyclist layer and
working out a more comprehensive tagging schema than we currently have are
two big jobs that are still sitting at the margins with the occasional bit
of momentum but no "completed" outcomes so far as I can see.

Kind regards,
Tom