[OSM-talk] no replay-to header at talk

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 12:40:51 BST 2007

On 11/07/07, Holger Issle <Holger at issle.de> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:19:29 +0100, Dave wrote:
>
> > We're asking them to hit "Reply to all" instead of "Reply".
>
> No, it is to use reply to all PLUS delete all the unneeded personal
> mails in addition, to make the reply do back to the list and the
> discussion to stay only there.

I don't get why you need to do this?
You get a mail through the list. You hit reply-all: the mail goes out
to the list and the person who sent it. They want to reply so they hit
reply-all. You get the message, so does the list. To have your client
have a reply-to-list option would obviously be better, but it's not
essential.

There doesn't seem to be a problem to me. Other than the number of
people in the To: field increasing a bit. And mailman is sensible
enough not to send you dupes for these.

And if you really want the mail to go to the list, you just set your
own reply-to field to point to the list. Although it's true most
clients don't make that easy.

There's clearly two different ways of expecting the behaviour to work,
one of which is technically wrong. But I don't see a technical reason
why the "proper" way doesn't work with the software people are using.