[OSM-talk] no replay-to header at talk

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Wed Jul 11 20:03:40 BST 2007

"Raphael Studer" <studerap at gmail.com> writes:

> What i expect when i hit "reply" is, the mail is going to where its coming from.
> In case of a discussion mailling list (as talk at osm) the mail comes
> from the list.
> In case of a anounce list, the mail comes from the author.

There is no technical difference between a discussion list and an
announcement list.  In both cases the mail comes from the author.

Mailinglists are much closer to newsgroups in concept than to "normal"
email.  There exists the distinction between a "reply" and a
"followup" where a reply is an email to the poster and a "followup" is
a posting go the group.  To apply that to mailinglists the
Mail-Followup-To header was invented but never standardized.  There
are websites about this subject with arguments for and against it.

> I vote for "yes" reply munging, as it makes *my" life easier and the
> pricacy of others safer.

How does it protect the privacy of others?

Matthias