[OSM-talk] Deprecation/move of incorrect tags

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Fri Jul 13 02:18:04 BST 2007

Corey Burger schrieb:
> On 7/12/07, Alex L. Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to propose the deprecation of the following "highway" values:
>>
>> steps (move to properties: steps=yes)
>> mini_roundabout (move to junction=mini_roundabout)
>>

> What about expanding the junction tag to include all the kinds of
> juctions that might exist, such as level crossings?

I'll have to think about that one first.
> Bridleway and Footway should probably become their own top level tags,
> ala cycleway

Having a top level tag with only one item in looks a bit strange.
However, if we see more things going into it this might be the way to go.

As highway=footway looks a bit strange in itself.
> Services should me moved to the appropriate amenity tag

No, services should stay at highway. The amenities at a service (fuel,
restaurant) should be tagged as such.
> Incline and Incline steep move to part of natural?

No, see my other response. An incline might even be man_made and not
natural!
> Viaduct should probably be removed entirely, in favour of bridge

As a viaduct is tourism related I wouldn't like to remove it. But using
it just like bridge sounds like a good idea.
> Bus stops and bus stations are two different things. A bus stop is a
> placed at the side of the road, a station is usually named and may be
> either an innercity interchange or an intercity station. As such, we
> still need a bus stop tag. Move that to amenity=bus_stop?

Here in germany, even all bus_stop's have names :-)

As the bus_stop is often nothing more than a sign at the road, I'm
unsure if it's just not part of the highway.

Although I don't like the current bus_stop as well, we might first
concentrate on the more obvious tags to be changed.

Regards, ULFL