[OSM-talk] Deprecation/move of incorrect tags

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Fri Jul 13 05:26:30 BST 2007

Alex L. Mauer schrieb:
> Ulf Lamping wrote:
>
>> In germany, the services are often not part of any other public roads
>> than the motorway itself. They are an "island" on the land, only
>> connected to the motorway.
>>

> There are some like this in the US as well.  I don't see a need to
> distinguish the roads leading to them though.
>

>> They have (at least most of them) dedicated motorway exits that leads to
>> nowhere else than the services itself and only a road back to the motorway.
>>

> Might "highway=motorway_link" be better for those dedicated exits, the
> same value that's used for other exits?

Ok, now I get the point of our difference. What I don't mean is to have
the way to the services have it's own tag - BTW: the map features only
mentiones nodes - please read the page before discussing ;-)

I guess motorway_link is fine here.

What I do want is a tag for the "exit" itself. This is not a normal exit
and shouldn't be tagged as such, but is important enough to be tagged
differently.

As I've already mentioned, we'll need a good and detailed description
wiki page first (with pictures), how the specialties of motorways should
be tagged (exits, junctions, services, parking, ...), and then we can
think of how the tags should be named. Discussing on the current level
is basically a waste of time IMHO.

Regards, ULFL