[OSM-talk] Preview: national cycle network map

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 10:23:22 BST 2007

Hi All,

I'll call it a preview, since there's still more on my Todo list than
on the Done list!

http://www.gravitystorm.co.uk/osm/  - a mapnik-based cycle layer

Shows the UK national cycle network, and local cycle networks at
higher zoom. Have a look at Putney, south west of central london, for
an area with both national and local (London) cycle networks.

I'm very interested in feedback, and I've got more plans to render
more features and play with the rendering, but I thought I'd "release
early" etc. I'm also keen to know if there are similar cycle networks
in the osm database for other parts of the world - if you know of
them, please let me know where they are and I'll look at rendering
them too.

Feedback appreciated, positive or negative.

Cheers,
Andy

PS - This takes about 5 hours to render on a modest PC, and other hour
to transfer to my new web host. I'd strongly recommend people play
more with Mapnik than trying to set up the entire tiles-at-home kind
of thing, since the physical infrastructure required by mapnik is
much, much less.

PPS - Thanks go to Dave Stubbs (randomjunk) for his help with this.