[OSM-talk] For the foundation AGM

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 15:08:43 BST 2007

> Hi,
>
> > My thought was that all things should be discussed here, then set to a
> > vote at the AGM without much (or even any) further debate because the
> > debate would have already happened, and most of the votes would have
> > been decided in advance and be done by proxy.
>
> I don't think a "democatic" principle by which only Foundation
> members would be able to vote and in which vote results would remain
> in place unchallenged until next year would do the project any good.
>
> I say, let the foundation AGM decide about those things that are
> really Foundation business, like who's the boss and who else has
> something to say in the Foundation, what to do with Foundation money,
> etc. - but that's it. You can discuss and, if you want, vote about
> where the Foundation wants the project to go, but do not assume that
> this must somehow automatically be the way the project really goes.

This is the correct interpretation of the role of the Foundation.  It's
function is to support the project (by raising money etc), it is not there
to control the project.

The foundation should not get involved in the technical details of the
project.  It's role is to be there with money when the project decides it
needs some shiney new servers, or to pay for lawyers when the project
decides there is a legal question that needs to be answered.

I have had my share of situations (outside OSM) when I suggested