[OSM-talk] JOSM installer, some (not only Win32 specific) questions to be solved ...

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Thu Jul 26 02:53:24 BST 2007

Hi List!

The current Win32 installer doesn't work really well, and there are
"infrastructure reasons" causing this ...

As I'm feeling encouraged to regain development of the Win32 installer,
I have some question / issues that needs to be solved ...

BTW: the debian installer Tweety (Joerg Ostertag) is working on
basically faces the same problems, I guess ...

stable vs. latest
There seems to be two JOSM versions worth noting: The (latest) released
version (currently 1.5) and the latest devel version (josm-latest.jar).
As there are currently incompatible changes between these two (it took
me hours to find out that the validator plugin causes the problems so
the current installer doesn't work), I'll need two fixed URL's to get
both the stable and the latest of the JOSM *and* plugin versions from.
There's currently a mixture of plugins that may (or may not) work with
the current JOSM version.

So I guess we'll need a "snapshot" of JOSM *and* the corresponding
plugins when a JOSM release is made. This ensures, that the plugins
included with the installer are compatible with JOSM.

"integrate all OSM stuff", or JOSM only installer
When I've started developing the Win32 installer, I've thought to
include not only JOSM, but also other "tools" like tiles at home, mapnik or
other related stuff. In the meantime, I got the impression that adding
such stuff to be "Win32 compatible" will be a huge effort, so it's
questionable if this will ever gonna happen.

So in the meantime, I've come to the conclusion that changing the
installer back to "JOSM only" is probably the best here. This affects
where JOSM is to be found in the "Program Files", "Software Tab" and alike.

versioning
I'm currently using a "fictional" version number for the installer, and
I'm really not pleased with this.

It seems to be a good idea to use the SVN version number from OSM for
the installer, but JOSM uses it's own SVN. Will the OSM svn increase
it's version, each time the JOSM version increases?

Regards, ULFL